You can get free NHS prescriptions if, at the time the prescription is dispensed, you:
- are 60 or over
- are under 16
- are 16-18 and in full-time education
- are pregnant or have had a baby in the previous 12 months and have a valid maternity exemption certificate (MatEx)
- have a specified medical condition and have a valid medical exemption certificate (MedEx)
- have a continuing physical disability that prevents you going out without help from another person and have a valid MedEx
- hold a valid war pension exemption certificate and the prescription is for your accepted disability
- are an NHS inpatient
You’re also entitled to free prescriptions if you or your partner – including civil partner – receive, or you’re under the age of 20 and the dependant of someone receiving:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Pension Credit Guarantee Credit
- Universal Credit and meet the criteria
For further details please visit the NHS website.
Prescription Prepayment Certificate (PPC)
If you are not entitled to free prescriptions and may have four or more prescriptions a month you may want to consider a PPC as it may be cheaper.
A PPC covers all of your NHS prescriptions, including NHS dental prescriptions, no matter how many items you need.
But this doesn’t include other health costs, such as the provision of wigs and fabric supports, which are only provided through the hospital service.
There are two PPC options to choose from:
- a 3-month PPC – costs £29.65 and will save you money if you need more than three prescribed items in three months
- a 12-month PPC – costs £105.90 and will save you money if you need more than 12 prescribed items in a year
How much can I save?
If you need:
- 2 items each month – you can save more than £113 with a 12-month PPC
- 3 items each month – you can save more than £223 with a 12-month PPC
- 4 items each month – you can save more than £333 with a 12-month PPC
There are several payment options available. If you choose the 12-month PPC, you can pay for this by 10 monthly direct debit instalments.
How to apply for a PPC
Check if you’re entitled to free prescriptions before you apply for your PPC.
You can buy your PPC online. The PPC will start from the day you submit your application, unless you request a different start date, but the start date must be within one month before or after the date of your application.
If you prefer talking to someone, you can call the PPC order line on 0300 330 1341. Again, your certificate is valid from the day you make the phone call, unless you request otherwise. Otherwise please visit us at Doshi Pharmacy and we can help advise you.
Electronic Prescription Service
The NHS Electronic Prescription Service Release 2 is now available to you (providing your GP surgery has become EPS R2 enabled). With this service you can nominate Doshi Pharmacy as your nominated pharmacy where you will collect your medications.
This service is a reliable, secure and confidential evolution of the current paper-based prescription service.
If your surgery is not yet EPS R2 enabled, then keep an eye out for the EPS symbol (above) for when your surgery becomes enabled.
Three reasons for why signing up for Electronic Prescription Service would be beneficial to you:
- Reduces hassle and saves you time
- Pick up your medicine from us
- The service is reliable and completely FREE!,
To register, please drop instore to fill in a nomination form to make us your nominated pharmacy, or please contact us via our contact form and we will send you a nomination form which you will need to print, fill in, sign and send in to us.
For more information on the Electronic Prescription Service, please see the following link: